Amazon

August 11, 2015

What Happened to Hawaii?

I always pass by homeless camps in Hawaii driving so this time I wanted to get a close up look and feel of these camps at a safe distance on foot. I'm not implying these camps are all dangerous, but a Hawaii lawmaker was attacked taking pictures and doing research near the area that I selected Kaka'ako Waterfront Park that is in the heart of Honolulu. In hindsight, I put myself in a precarious position. It did not help that I was dressed up in a Aloha Shirt and dress pants the standard Hawaii business attire. I snapped pictures with my iPhone discreetly and disappeared. 

The homeless problem is all around in Hawaii. Affordable housing does not exist in Hawaii when the wages that the average person earns can't even rent an apartment. Solution live on the streets and keep moving around when you get kicked out of your current location.

The previous Governor and current Mayor of Honolulu both failed on solutions. Only bandaid fixes that don't last. The current Governor is new and he is teaming up with the Honolulu Mayor that failed in the past. The Governor formed a new task force to tackle the mushrooming homeless problem. I will not make any judgements on the current Governor until I see him in action. Is his task force going to succeed with a long term solutions to help the homeless. 

Hawaii is becoming a Banana Republic, but we don't sell bananas we build 1 million+ condominiums and homes. The future of Hawaii is grim for our children because they will all leave Hawaii for a better life on the mainland. Hawaii is failing to bring in industries that will create employment at good wages to buy these 1 million+ homes. The tourism industry that is Hawaii's bread and butter is not a decent living for most. The people in the tourism industry need to hold down an extra part-time job or a second full-time job to stay off the streets. This is ridiculous. Is this America?

It's not an easy fix. The mainland states keep sending their homeless to Hawaii promising them a better life in a warmer state on the streets. That crap needs to stop. There are so many families with young children in these camps it breaks my heart how they have to live in a tent on a sidewalk playing in the street. How do these children get an education when they are living under these circumstances. We can't all be a Rocket Scientist, Doctor or Lawyer, but we need to help these children get a good education so they have an opportunity for good paying jobs in the future.

I'm calling you out Governor and Mayor to perform your duties that you were elected too. It's not rocket science to find solutions to help the homeless. It's a staged long term plan. You can't look for the slam dunk solution it does not exist. Put me on that task force and I will come up with proposals. You can find me here on my blog.

I recall when I was a little kid growing up in Hawaii it was a different place. Hawaii is changing not for the better, but for the worst.



In the background condominiums priced at 1 million+ and such a bargain. Note to self, I need to buy one of these bargains at 1 million+. 







This is the view around 200 yards away from the homeless camps.





No comments:

Post a Comment