Amazon

April 2, 2015

Just in the nick of Time

Adventures of a grandpa and his two granddaughters at the time.

Ever wondered what you are capable of doing in 5 seconds. Well in a certain situation it can be an eternity like in the movies The scene is played out in slow motion. It felt like that for me.
I had a situation that required immediate reaction with only 5 seconds to spare. I was helping my daughter at Sam’s Club. My daughter took the elevator with the shopping cart and I took the two rascals on the escalator. The escalator we took is like a conveyor belt on an incline not like the escalators at the shopping malls. I held the hand of my 1 year old granddaughter and let the 3 year old granddaughter walk along the escalator telling her to be careful and don't play around. OK big mistake she ran all the way up the escalator and got off it. I told her just wait there do not go anywhere. I'm almost to the top of the escalator when the 3 year old decides to get back on the escalator to join me and her sister. There were some kids doing that earlier in the day so I told my granddaughter that’s not good to do it's dangerous to jump on an escalator coming toward you. Well I guess she wanted to try it out. My granddaughter slipped and fell on the soft rubber of the escalator, I let go of her 1 year old sister and ran up the escalator to pick her up before she gets caught in the area at the top of the escalator where the rubber goes under the escalator comb plate. I was able to get her up in time and off the escalator to safety. Oh no the 1 year old is flat on her back enjoying the ride. I need to get to her fast to pick her up now with no time to spare and get her off the escalator.

We are all safe. My daughter greets us and we all act like nothing happened. My heart still beating fast, OMG that was a close one.

The moral to the story is escalators are dangerous for little kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment